This article will teach you How to Update Kodi on Android in just a few simple steps.
This guide provides instructions for Android TV Boxes as well as Android devices such as phones and tablets.
Unfortunately, users are unable to Update Kodi on Android to version 19.4 using the Google Play Store. The official Kodi developers stated the following:
“Please note that we are currently unable to provide this update via the Google Play Store. As such, we’re unable to upload 19.4 to the Play Store, although 19.3 will remain available. However, for those who want the new release, 19.4 can be downloaded from our servers and installed manually.”
Therefore, we must update using the popular TROYPOINT Rapid App Installer that takes a few minutes or less.
Oftentimes, Kodi comes preinstalled on various Android TV Boxes but it is not always up to date.
Since Kodi comes out with new updates on a frequent basis, this will probably be one of the first things that you will want to do when you boot up your new Android TV Box.
Updating Kodi on an Android TV Box is a simple process and only requires a few easy steps.
This is not the same for the Amazon Firestick and Fire TV which do not provide access to the Google Play Store.
We have created a separate guide for updating Kodi on Firestick/Fire TV devices.
Note: If you do not have Kodi installed on your Android device you will want to first follow our Kodi on Android tutorial.
There are hundreds of various Android TV Boxes available for purchase that come in all shapes and sizes.
We have created a complete Android TV Box Resource Guide that will tell you everything you need to know about these devices and how to get the most out of them.
This process will work for any variation of Android Box you prefer including Chromecast with Google TV, NVIDIA SHIELD, MECOOL, and more.
Below, you will find the steps necessary on how to update Kodi on Android TV Box.
You will also find a video as well that I recommend you watch for a more detailed process. As of this tutorial, the latest update is Kodi 19.4.
IMPORTANT NOTE: If you have a Kodi Build installed on your device, you may want to change your skin back to default Estuary within the Interface Settings of Kodi.
It is also important to make sure any Kodi Addons you have installed on your Android device are compatible with the new version of Kodi.
How To Update Kodi On Android TV – Kodi 19.4
Note: You can find instructions for updating Kodi on Android phones and tablets below.
The following screenshots show how to update Kodi on any Android TV device such as the Chromecast with Google TV, NVIDIA Shield, MECOOL boxes, Tivo Stream 4K, and more.
This process uses the free TROYPOINT Rapid App Installer, which always has the most stable release of Kodi available for updating.
In this example, we are using the Chromecast with Google TV but these steps will be similar for any Android TV device.
1. First install the Downloader App on your Android TV device if you haven’t already.
2. Open the Downloader app and click the search box.
3. Enter the following URL – troypoint.com/tpapp and click Go.
4. Wait a few seconds for the file to download.
5. Click Install.
6. Click Done or Open after the TROYPOINT App installs.
7. Return back to the main menu of your Android TV device, hover your profile icon, and click Settings.
8. Scroll down and click Apps.
9. Choose Security & Restrictions
10. Click Unknown sources.
11. Click the TROYPOINT app to where it says Allowed.
12. Launch the TROYPOINT App and click OK when this message appears.
13. Click Rapid App Installer.
14. Click Allow.
15. Find Kodi 19 and click the download icon. This will always point to the most stable Kodi release.
16. Wait a few seconds then click the play icon that will appear.
17. Click Install.
18. Click Open.
19. Click Continue.
20. Click Allow.
21. That’s it! You have successfully updated Kodi on Android TV to the most stable release.
How to Update Kodi on Android Tablet & Phone
The process below for updating Kodi on Android tablets and phones will work on any device that runs the Stock Android Operating System (OS).
In this example, we are using a Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 Tablet, but these steps work on any Android tablet, phone, and stock Android TV box.
1. Launch Google Chrome and type troypoint.com/tpapp in the URL bar.
2. Wait for the file to download and open your Files
3. Find the TROYPOINT App download and select it.
4. Click Install.
5. Click Open.
6. This will launch the TROYPOINT App. Choose Rapid App Installer.
7. Scroll down and find Kodi 19 and select the download button.
8. Wait for Kodi to download.
9. Click the play button and click Install.
10. Click Open.
11. This will launch Kodi for use. You have successfully updated Kodi on your Android tablet or phone!
For more streaming options, check out our popular resource guides below:
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I Update Kodi on Android Box?
Yes, this guide will provide step-by-step instructions to update Kodi on any Android Box.
Is Kodi in the Google Play Store?
Yes, Kodi is available within the Google Play Store for installation.
How do I Update Kodi on Android TV Box?
This guide will show you step by step how to update Kodi on your preferred Android device.
Can I Update Kodi with a Build Installed?
Yes. However, you may want to change your Kodi skin to default estuary prior to doing so.
Is Updating Safe?
Yes. Updating Kodi and other apps is not only safe but also recommended to improve performance.
This page includes affiliate links where TROYPOINT may receive a commission at no extra cost to you. Many times, you will receive a discount due to the special arrangements made for our visitors. I will never promote something that I personally don’t use or recommend. Purchasing through my links directly supports TROYPOINT which keeps the content and tools coming. Thank you!